Friday, March 9, 2012

Dreamlife March 9 - Robin

Type: frustration
People: Karen McDuff and Dad
Featured: helping my sister-in-law and a whole lot of spilling of stuff.


We were having Christmas with Karen and her family.  Karen was ill and went to bed early, but had to get up to help a neighbor down the street who had some sort of tragedy happen that wrecked the house.  I asked her why she was going when she felt sick.  She said it was her Christian obligation: her mother expected it.  I felt bad for her so I gathered up some things to help and went to the house.  Dad was in charge of the clean-up crew and wondered what took me so long to get there.  I went to get some milk and spilled it.  From then on, everything I touched, I dropped.  I wasn't much help.



Annotation

Karen is a devout Christian and, if her mom expected it and she felt it was her religious duty, she would certainly try to do it. That said, this was probably beyond the call of duty.   My brother and Karen are divorcing, and I have told Karen if she ever needs help on any projects at her home, I would be happy to do so.  So, I think part of this comes from that.  The chances that I would actually be at Christmas with Karen and her family are zero.

Dad did lead various Habitat for Humanity crews of which I worked on some.  I think he was there for that reason.

Spilling/dropping things - I do that more and more these days.  But not this much.

3 comments:

  1. "Spilled milk?" I bet the James Joyce reading group could spend a week on the annotations of that alone.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't cry over spilled milk. By this time tomorrow, it'll be free yogurt. "The Colbert Report," November 12, 2009.

    "There is no sense in crying over spilt milk. Why bewail what is done and cannot be recalled?" (Sophocles)

    "Never cry over spilt milk, because it may have been poisoned." (W. C. Fields)

    "It doesn't matter how much milk you spill, just so long as you don't lose the cow." (Mark Guilbeau)

    Never Cry Over Spilled Milk; Beer Is a Different Story!

    “It's no good crying over spilt milk, because all the forces of the universe were bent on spilling it”
    William Somerset Maugham

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to milk it, Lynn! I like the end quote...just like the avocado dip.

    ReplyDelete