Thursday, March 8, 2012

Dreamlife March 8 - Robin

Type: fish-out-of-water
People:  Leslie and, only in annotation, my brother Russ
Featured: Robin as a pastor in a dress

I was leading a church in some area that seemed to be in the far east, but perhaps really was in Hawaii.  All the congregation came in full length dresses, which was unusual.  The only people not in these clothes were the haoles like me.  They were dressed in shorts, Hawaiian shirts and flip-flops.  I asked why people were in that clothing and I was told it was "Agboogadol Day" in which one always wears a full length dress.  As the pastor, I felt I really needed to get on it!  I said to hold the service and I would be back.  I ran to the nearest thrift store and grabbed the first dress I saw.  The woman at the store said it didn't flatter me.  I bought it.  It was a wrap-type and I found a mis-matching thing to tie it with.  When I went back, Leslie gave me the:  that-looks-terrible look and said my tie made me look like a package to be opened.  She retied it.  Then I went in, but it was a roomful of leftist-type women.  Leslie said I wasn't going to speak because I felt odd wearing a dress.  I wished she hadn't said that.



Annotation

The pastor thing - Given that I am an atheist, I have little idea about this one.  However, at this point it is important to mention that I had a memorable dream pre-log in which I was a Catholic priest. I couldn't figure out how that happened since woman aren't priests and I am not Catholic.  In it, I said the word "euchrist" and had no idea what it meant.  I had to look the word up when I woke up.  I was impatient during "the communion thing"—as I called it in my dream— to get done to get to a drinking date with my brother Russ at a Seattle bar.  I personally think this dream was a continuation of this. Maybe next time a Rabbi?

Dresses -  I hate dresses and I am very uncomfortable in them.  So, this is much like having a naked dream.  That said, I feel really awkward when I am dressed way differently than everyone else. It has been  constant tension in my life and certainly continues in full force.

On the thing to tie my dress - I am pretty sure this is a combination from the fact that I have real problems figuring out how to wear a scarf.  Here in the cold scarfs are great, but I can't get them to stay on without doing an oddball tie.  Plus, when I was "watching" the Oscars (which was done through following live blogs and twitter), this picture of Emma Stone led me to say something like the line in the dream - dressed up like a present.  My tie was similar to that one around my waist.  And I have no fashion sense...

No comments:

Post a Comment