Monday, March 5, 2012

Dreamlife March 5 - Robin

Type: interweaving of the everyday with more fanciful elements
People: Sandy L, Cynthia Nixon
Featured: getting a housekeeper, a rich Japanese resort, and the drive-in that gives me comfort

Sandy recommended a housekeeper to us by the name of Tia.  I went to talk to her about what we wanted her to clean, and she was already taking apart an area with a bunch of junk, tying to make it neater.  I told her that I didn't want her to do any projects unless I actually gave them to her.  She was showing way too much initiative for my taste.  But I decided to use her because she needed the job.

I went to a grand Japanese resort that Cynthia Nixon was at.  I was telling her about the issue with the housekeeper and she said that Tia was her cousin. (Wow!  Small world, I thought.) She told me that Tia was independently wealthy and didn't need to work.  She just liked to clean. 

The food at the resort was presented beautifully and they had an area with orchids that was amazing.  Also a view from the grounds, which sat on top of a hill, was breathtaking.

I left the resort to walk home but was lost.  Finally, I saw a drive-in movie screen and looked for the lady waterskiing, but she wasn't there.  It was at the wrong drive-in, but I knew I would find it if I just keep looking for the right drive-in.



Annotation

Housekeepers - we just got a housekeeper recommended by a friend.  She is, however, a little too gung-ho in some ways and hard to give directions to.  In addition, we are using our housetrade partner's housekeeper up here and she comes Wednesday.  So they have been on my mind.

Interconnection - Cynthia Nixon is the actress from Sex and the City and is someone I have met and is related (by almost marriage) to a good friend of ours.  In the meantime, last night I was working on trying to find various folks from my high school for our 40th reunion this year.  I was looking for Jon Dahl.  I figured he would be easy to find as his name isn't common.  I googled:  "jon dahl" fairfield.  The first hit was "Susan Muto".  Now, I know Suzy (at least that is what we called her in grade school), though she was not in our class.  I assume she married a Dahl.  But I still found it striking to look for one person and get a completely different person who I knew.  Basically, I am always fascinated about the interconnectedness of us all and I think the whole the housekeeper-was-her-cousin thing was just a riff on that.

The resort - Our housetrade partners told us yesterday are going to a resort-type place for a few days on the dry side of the Big Island; I had recommended to them the Japanese hotel, the Manago, which has a lovely garden. The Mutos are Japanese.  I was thinking about the "Orchid Thief" and the movie Adaptation yesterday.  I think that all got rolled into the dream.

The drive-in - My grandparents lived right next to a drive-in with a mural of woman waterskiing on the outside of the screen.  I think the name of the drive-in was Lakeview and so that is why... Anyway, I hated the drive to my grandparents's house because I always got carsick.  When I saw that drive-in, I was always so happy because my misery would be over and I would get to be at my grandparents' house (which I really loved).  It got torn down and is now an auto lot, but in my mind's eye it will always live and represent relief and home.

No comments:

Post a Comment