Sunday, March 11, 2012

Dreamlife March 11—Leslie

Dream 1:

Type: being on stage and completely incompetent
People: me and a ragtag group of musicians
Featured: a really bad band

I’m on stage playing bass guitar in a band. But I’m about as good (i.e. bad) as I would be in my waking life. So even though it’s just a simple blues progression I’m supposed to be doing, I totally suck. Although it’s just a group of beginners, I’m really embarrassed, and am trying to figure a way to get out of the situation.


Annotations:

I used to play rhythm guitar in a couple bands, but never was any good at lead lines. So I would be a completely incompetent bassist. (Carolyn—where are you when I need you!) This would have been a great time to start lucid dreaming; then I no doubt could have wailed on the bass. Or at least gotten off stage.

Dream 2:

Type: food
People: my family and Cathy K.
Featured: a hike and a restaurant and some sausages

I’m on a hike with my mom and dad and other family members. We’re in Europe somewhere. It’s a narrow, uphill trail. There’s a tall, thin man with a small dog and we pass them. But then I stop to tie my shoes and they pass me again. At the top of the trail/hill is a restaurant. I walk inside and say hi to the owners. I know our group will be in our usual spot, upstairs in a separate dining area. I go up and they’re all there, and have already decided what to order. The special is some sort of long thin wrap. Most are wrapped around sausages, but one has Camembert cheese. Everyone has decided to share, to get two kinds and each have half. Cathy K. is there, and has waited for me to see if I want to share with her. I look at the menu which has pictures of all the different kinds of sausages. She says she’d like to get the Camembert and one of the sausage kinds. I have a hard time deciding which sausage to get.

Annotations:

My parents used to be great hikers, and I’ve been on many long hikes with them. One summer we spent two weeks hiking in Switzerland.

The restaurant seemed familiar to my vaguely waking mind at the time, but once I woke up I couldn’t think which one it might be. But it definitely seemed “European,” whatever that means, in the dream.

I do love sausages, as does Cathy. And I always have a hard time making my mind up what to order.

The dog looked a little like Ziggy, but more Chihuahua-ish.

5 comments:

  1. In the first dream, the word that stands out to me is "beginners". It's a different kind of dream than if you suddenly found yourself on stage at Carnegie Hall. You might be out of your depth, but so is everybody else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Except that I was the only one who really had no idea how to play their instrument. This sort of dream--where I'm on stage, in a play I don't know the lines for, or with an instrument I don't know how to play--is a recurrent kind of stress dream for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right, I know, but really you are just a bit more of a beginner than the rest, according to your description.

    Often in dreams, the perception of the "I" character is not the one to notice because it's the point of view we're already invested in. It's how the other characters react that might be significant. Do they seem to wish you weren't there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point. They didn't appear to notice that anything was amiss. Which I thought was odd. (Dream sign!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, playing in a band could be a good gateway to lucidity.

    ReplyDelete