Sunday, February 26, 2012

Dreamlife Feb 26 - Robin

Type: Quotidian with a futuristic twist
People: Daria/Julie Rowe meld, Wayne, Danny Basaldua
Featured:  BBQ professional licensing

I was trying to make a date with my friend Wayne but he was leaving town.  He was flying to Australia (which he said took 8 hours—in your dreams, buddy!), then LA, and finally he was moving to New York as he decided to become a licensed BBQer. 
(In this dreamworld, pollution from BBQing had gotten so bad that only professionals with licences could do it.  They were greatly in demand because people love BBQ. NYC had a big problem with BBQ pollution, so the schools were there, I guess.)  I told him he could he stay with Leslie and me for 2-3 days when he came back to Santa Cruz.  Leslie would not like it if I offered more without her consent.

*******

I was talking to my Italian friend Daria (who really was a meld of Daria and Julie Rowe in the dream).  She told me I was too conservative.  She was a rather fierce feminist and straight support of gay rights and said I was just not doing enough in this area. She said this as she was flipping through a huge file of clippings from magazines like Cosmopolitan and Vogue.  She told me that she had decided to try to get an emergency BBQ license as she could use some money.

*******

I was talking to a European friend.  I asked her if she liked BBQ.  She said she loved it as it "tasted great in that rough American way".  I asked if she knew Daria (don't all Europeans know each other??) and she did, but didn't like her.  I asked if she knew Danny Basaldua and she did.  I told her I knew all about him and his brother.



Annotation

Wayne - is a friend from when I worked at the Civic in SC.  We had just gotten together recently and he is looking for a job.  We talked about the possibility of moving out of Santa Cruz at some point.  We didn't talk about BBQ.

Daria - is an Italian Marine biologist with long curly hair and a whole lot of fun energy who loves the outdoors. She might flip through a Cosmo, but she wouldn't ever criticize my politics.  She doesn't need a part-time job.

Julie Rowe- has long curly hair and a whole lot of fun energy and loves the outdoors.  We have been friends since her years as my work crew leader about 20 years ago. I have often thought that she and Daria had similarities so I am not surprised I morphed them.  Julie is on my left and has recently (gently) castigated my politics on Facebook (though not in the gay/feminist realm).  I doubt that she reads Cosmo, but she is into odd-ball fashion stuff.  Don't think she needs a part-time job.

Danny Basaldua - I don't know the guy except that Leslie and I loved his gravestone at the Watsonville cemetery that we used to frequent.  He died in a motorcycle accident in his 20s and there is a picture of him on his Harley with the epitaph reading "Ride on".  We use to take drinks to the graveyard and toast him.  I know nothing else about him.

BBQ - Yesterday there was an event here in Fairbanks called BRRRBQ, which was a winter cook-off competition.  We talked about going.  As well, we talked with Mark (who we are housetrading with) about the Fairbanks inversion layer that traps pollutants.  Pretty sure that this evolved out to those two things.

1 comment: