Monday, April 9, 2012

Guest Dream Blog April 7

Note:  The day I decided to stop doing the dream journal, my brother Russ sent in this dream.  Dreamlife is still open for guest dreams and, who knows, Leslie or I might throw one in now and then, too.

Type:  Chaotic Action
People:  My in-laws, Luna, Senator Evans and his wife Nancy, and lots of strangers
Featured:  A wedding with a big dog walk

I was in a church for a wedding, not sure whose wedding.  But we were having the reception at our house, which looked nothing like our house, and I left before the vows to finish preparations.  One of the first guests to arrive were my in-laws driving their red Cadillac sports convertible and towing a trailer with a wedding present.  They tipped the trailer over as they backed it into a hill and the present broke.  Then guests arrived and wouldn't listen to my parking directions.  They were every which way, not packed at all efficiently.  I decided to take Luna and other dogs at the reception on a walk.  We visited three (or four) houses along the way, all very estate-like.  At the first there was a magnificent carved climbing toy in which the dogs treed a cat.  When I went to help the cat, it became clear the cat was already treed by a mountain lion staring down at all the dogs.  We left.
 At the next place there were some kids, including a set of triplets.  The kids loved dogs.  But the oldest kid came a told me that one of the triplets had crawled down a mineshaft in their yard and all the dogs had followed.  I couldn't get my headlamp on to see what was happening because I was wearing gloves.  But I continued to crawl down the shaft and suddenly lights were on and we were in a museum of some sort with lots of people looking at artifacts.  I got the dogs to come along.  No idea what happened to the missing triplet.  At he next house the dogs were running around not noticing the pet rabbits.  I was invited inside and sat in room with a big "board room" like table, next to Dan and Nancy.  There was some kind of presentation which I ignored.  But I was fascinated by Dan Evan's sweater which had an upside down AARP logo on it.  I noticed that Nancy had sewed a purple block W on top of her upside logo.



Annotation

I had been re-reading Sometimes a Great Notion which moves from narrator to narrator so quickly that I think that was the catalyst for chaotic action.  And I had skied, for me, a big day and may have been dehydrated, the proximate cause of my last vivid and memorable dream, seven years ago.

Three of the past four weddings I have attended have been conservative Christian affairs.   The vows are always troubling to me.

My father-in-law drives a red Cadillac convertible.  I don't think he has ever towed a trailer.  I have a fascination with layout of parking lots rooted in a fantastic metaphor for crystal dislocation that one of my peers used in Chem 90 senior year at Caltech.

All winter I have been part of a dog walking group, but Luna was the only dog I recognized.

There was part of the Kesey book that had a night-time hunt for foxes and raccoons.   I last saw a mountain lion staring down a dog (Petra) in 1976.

I've been in a mineshaft or two, both parts of roadside attractions.  I had read earlier that day a review of a headlamp that contained a Wisconsin joke about the only thing one could do with gloves on was pee in your pants.

Were the rabbits Ziggy's rats?

Dan and Nancy would never wear matching AARP sweaters.  But they have an impressive collection of UW garb.  Son Daniel was with us and I am still upset that he didn't meet with Dan to share his senior thesis, a history of Husky Stadium.  (Renovation is underway and Dan is the chair of fund-raising.  He had told me he would be delighted to talk with Daniel.)

I made short notes and filled them out because of my sister's addiction to this dream documentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment